- Full Time
KTAZ Telemundo in Phoenix is seeking a News Producer to join our award-winning team. The Producer will be responsible for successful coordination and execution of a newscast and other special programs as needed.
• Responsible for overall production of the news of the day, special coverage, in depth stories and other news-related content of each newscast.
• Responsible for being a key communicator in the newsroom- talking with each team member who will participate or provide content for that newscast (i.e., Assignment Editor, anchors, VJ’s and production crews).
• Understand newscast mission, station priorities and be familiar with all the platforms.
• Must select stories, understand all the elements, and design a newscast that achieves the daily goal.
• Oversee all details of the broadcast while working closely with all members of the news team.
• Stack the rundown and manage the on-air broadcast from the control room.
• In charge of leading the news team managing the rundown during live broadcasts from the control room.
• Ability to update and change the rundown during breaking news and to improve the priority of stories executed live.
• Interact with technical team, executive producer, and reporters in a fast-paced moving environment.
• Produce news stories and specials as assigned.
• Oversee and write the news briefs and daily promos when needed.
• Copy-edit reporter scripts as well as all newscast copy.
• Field produce stories for the on-air newscast and other news content platforms.- Knowledgeable on daily news events, keep up with current events, be aware of past news events and know what news in the Arizona market is.
• Execute Live Shots and Satellite Remotes during live newscasts by keeping a good communication with the crew in the field.
• Select, assign, write, and organize news stories. Write headlines, teases, and reporter lead-ins
• Respond to breaking news with urgency and accuracy and have good time management skills.
• Coordinate and plan future community and social story development.
• Work with Multi-Media Journalists to improve story and presentation.
• Editing skills to edit video clips.
• Write news scripts, promotional teasers, headlines and topicals for TV and digital platforms.
• Work closely with producers, Executive Producer and Vice-President of News on story/sweeps planning and coordination.
• Assign reporters and anchors as needed.
• Contribute story ideas; participate in daily coverage decisions and editorial meetings.
• Work directly with talent articulating angle of story, length, and video.
• Leadership: take responsibility for own actions and take risks for the team and be a team player.
• Complete discrepancy reports with detail and accuracy to help prevent future problems.
• File additional reports related to the production of the newscasts.
• Understand and follow all Telemundo News standards and ethics.
• Must be able to speak, read and write fluently in Spanish and must be able to speak, read and understand English.
• 2 to 4 years as News Producer experience.
• Excellent news judgment, creative ideas and writing skills a must.
• Must have leadership qualities, be detail oriented, organized, and able to handle intense deadline pressure.
• Must be able to work a flexible schedule when needed to cover other shifts and breaking news, to include holidays and weekends.
• Interested candidate must submit a resume/CV through www.nbcunicareers.com to be considered.
• Must be willing to work in the Phoenix area and travel as needed for special assignments.
• Must be willing to work long hours, varying shifts (including nights and weekends) and report to work in emergencies depending upon news coverage when necessary.
• Must have unrestricted work authorization to work in the United States.
• Must be 18 years or older.
• Must have a valid driver’s license, good driving record.
• Take an active role in selecting the stories of the day – come up with story ideas that reporters can turn in one day, create producer driven content to enhance our coverage of the big story and other stories that appear in the newscast.
• Anticipate problems and address them throughout the course of the shift, eliminate all factual/spelling/other errors that appear in the show. If a problem arises, address it immediately.
• Follow up problems with those involved and a newsroom manager.
• Bring creativity into every aspect of the newscast, use the Telemundo arsenal of tools and equipment to provide the most current information that is geographically diverse and maximizes viewer benefits.
• News judgment with solid ethical decision process.
• Highly competitive nature.
• Ability to perform under tight time deadlines.
• Ability to work well under pressure.
• Must submit an attestation disclosing COVID-19 vaccination status and, if partially or fully vaccinated, submitting vaccination record no later than 7 days following commencement of employment.
• Must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 at the commencement of employment or must undergo regular COVID-19 testing if Company determines job position requires accessing an NBCUniversal worksite.
• Must be willing to adhere to all Company COVID-19 workplace safety policies and protocols
NBCUniversal is one of the world’s leading media and entertainment companies in the development, production, and marketing of entertainment, news, and information to a global audience. NBCUniversal owns and operates a valuable portfolio of news and entertainment television networks, a premier motion picture company, significant television production operations, a leading television stations group, and world-renowned theme parks. NBCUniversal’s policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law.
About Telemundo Station Group:
Telemundo Station Group, part of the NBCUniversal Owned Television Stations division of NBCUniversal, is comprised of 30 local television stations in the U.S. and Puerto Rico. Producing and broadcasting more than 15,000 hours of unique and relevant local content each year, including award-winning news, public affairs, and entertainment programming, Telemundo Station Group serves the largest Hispanic television markets in the country including Los Angeles, New York, Miami-Fort Lauderdale, Houston, Dallas-Fort Worth, Chicago, San Antonio, San Francisco Bay Area, Fresno, Sacramento, Salt Lake City, Phoenix, Harlingen, Orlando, Fresno, Philadelphia, Washington D.C., San Diego, Tampa, Denver, El Paso, Boston, Las Vegas, Tucson, Hartford, Fort Myers, Springfield, Richmond, Albuquerque, Sacramento, Fresno, Salt Lake and Puerto Rico. In addition, Telemundo Station Group operates TeleXitos, a national multicast network that offers viewers popular action and adventure television series and feature films in Spanish. The group also provides support to 50 Telemundo affiliates across the country and manages dedicated local websites and applications, as well as a robust digital out-of-home operation.
To apply for this job please visit www.nbcunicareers.com.