Assignment Editor (Job # 51024502)
August 9, 2022 by Comments Off on Assignment Editor (Job # 51024502)
- Full Time
Website TelemundoAZ Telemundo Arizona
Telemundo Arizona (KTAZ) in Phoenix, AZ, is currently seeking an Assignment Editor. The successful candidate will assist in the efficient operation of the assignment desk. He/she will also assist in the production of newscasts, and when required, will produce these shows.
• Assemble the daybook on i-news listing story ideas and daily newsworthy events
• Monitor police and emergency scanners and electronic/printed sources for news and disseminate the information to appropriate newsroom personnel
• Coordinate interviews and logistics for field crews
• Facilitate the news gathering process and ensure comprehensive coverage of all news stories across all of platforms, including, but not limited to broadcast, digital and web
• Collaborate with producers, anchors, reporters, photographers, and other station personnel daily, to maximize resources and provide the best coverage during breaking news coverage and/or weather & emergency situations
• Participate in editorial meetings; develop interesting story ideas using strong editorial judgment
• Develop enterprise story ideas consistent with the news brand
• Cultivate contacts important to news coverage in the state, including law enforcement
• Establish working relationships with Public Information Officers for updates on significant events and incidents
• Follow other local news channels to monitor their news coverage
• Produce & assist with undercover special projects during sweeps. Includes recording interviews remotely and from the field.
• Cooperate with and support news and online platforms as assigned
• Publishing of online content when required
• Plan news coverage as directed by news management
• Maintain a calendar with all future stories and events for planned news coverage
• Stay up to date with local and national news stories and update the team as needed
• Read police reports and find resources to validate stories
• Perform other duties as needed and as directed by news management. Including producing
• broadcasts for air and digital.
• Keep news managers and producers informed on progress of new stories
• Answer phones and take notes on viewer calls for possible story leads
• Produce newscast when required
• Edit videos for broadcast & social media
• Experience in the Phoenix market and familiarity with Tucson Area audience and communities is preferred
• Bachelor’s degree in communications or in a related field
• Prior experience as assignment editor, assignment manager, or other related experience
• Solid news judgment, strong writing, and research skills
• Experience using online and social media resources as news researching tools (Accurint, LexisNexis, Facebook, etc.)
• Experience with newsroom computer applications
• Demonstrated ability to solve problems, prioritize decisions, act decisively and successfully manage multiple assignments concurrently in a high pressure, breaking news, environment
• Basic understanding and demonstration of solid editorial judgment and journalistic ethics, including a current knowledge of laws of libel, slander and applicable FCC rules and regulations
• Thorough understanding satellite operations and microwave newsgathering technologies
• Good collaborative and interpersonal skills to communicate at all levels
• Bilingual: Spanish and English; both written and verbal
• Understanding of emerging news production techniques and technology
• Works well in a fast-paced, team environment
• Works as needed when determined by news management
• Applicants must submit a resume/CV through www.nbcunicareers.com to be considered
• Must have a flexible schedule with ability to work any of a 24×7 shift and willingness to work long hours and on weekends and holidays with short notice
• Must be willing to work in Phoenix, AZ
• Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment
• Must have unrestricted work authorization to work in the United States
• Must be at least 18 years of age
• Must have a valid Driver’s License and excellent driving record.
• Must submit an attestation disclosing COVID-19 vaccination status and, if partially or fully vaccinated, submitting vaccination record no later than 7 days following commencement of employment.
• Must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 at the commencement of employment or must undergo regular COVID-19 testing if Company determines job position requires accessing an NBCUniversal worksite.
• Must be willing to adhere to all Company COVID-19 workplace safety policies and protocols
NBCUniversal is one of the world’s leading media and entertainment companies in the development, production, and marketing of entertainment, news, and information to a global audience. NBCUniversal owns and operates a valuable portfolio of news and entertainment television networks, a premier motion picture company, significant television production operations, a leading television stations group, and world-renowned theme parks. NBCUniversal’s policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law.
About Telemundo Station Group:
Telemundo Station Group, part of the NBCUniversal Owned Television Stations division of NBCUniversal, is comprised of 30 local television stations in the U.S. and Puerto Rico. Producing and broadcasting more than 15,000 hours of unique and relevant local content each year, including award-winning news, public affairs, and entertainment programming, Telemundo Station Group serves the largest Hispanic television markets in the country including Los Angeles, New York, Miami-Fort Lauderdale, Houston, Dallas-Fort Worth, Chicago, San Antonio, San Francisco Bay Area, Fresno, Sacramento, Salt Lake City, Phoenix, Harlingen, Orlando, Fresno, Philadelphia, Washington D.C., San Diego, Tampa, Denver, El Paso, Boston, Las Vegas, Tucson, Hartford, Fort Myers, Springfield, Richmond, Albuquerque, Sacramento, Fresno, Salt Lake and Puerto Rico. In addition, Telemundo Station Group operates TeleXitos, a national multicast network that offers viewers popular action and adventure television series and feature films in Spanish. The group also provides support to 50 Telemundo affiliates across the country and manages dedicated local websites and applications, as well as a robust digital out-of-home operation.
To apply for this job please visit www.nbcunicareers.com.