Radio Station Operations Manager and Sales Associate
August 23, 2021 by Comments Off on Radio Station Operations Manager and Sales Associate
- Full Time
- Peach Springs, AZ
Website Hualapai Nation KWLP Radio
JOB TITLE: Radio Station Operations Manager and Sales Associate
DEPARTMENT: Hualapai Health Department
SUMMARY OF JOB DUTIES:
This position is currently under the direction and supervision of the Radio Station Manager and is a position in the Health, Education and Wellness Department. This position will work with internal and external entities to operate a community, commercial radio station. All functions of this position will be performed in accordance with the program’s, Department’s and Tribe’s policy and procedures, applicable guidelines and requirements of originating broadcast sources and any applicable Federal agency regulations. This position will collaborate and coordinate with other Radio Station staff, Health Department staff, community volunteers and Tribe programs and departments to implement radio station programming, based upon the needs and interests of the station, the participating youth and the community, consistent with the Radio Station’s Mission Statement and other applicable guidelines, rules and regulations and as directed by the Station Manager. This position shall sell or solicit advertising and sponsors for the radio station. This position will produce, organize and participate in commercial spots, and promotional events for the Radio Station, appear at community events and appear on-air. This position shall function in the capacity of a Radio Station Operations Manager, Production Manager and Sales Associate. This position will coordinate with other station staff and technical consultants as delegated and directed by the Station Manager. This position will perform other radio station tasks as assigned by the Station Manager, including supervising volunteers and the Operations Assistant position. This position requires alternative and irregular work hours.
• Assist in the day-to-day operations of the Radio Station as needed.
• Assists with the technical operations of the station, including but not limited to the following:
o Monitor strength, clarity, and reliability of incoming and outgoing signals, and adjust equipment as necessary to maintain quality broadcasts and log transmitter readings and control audio equipment to regulate the volume and sound quality during radio broadcasts and make required readings and log entries, such as on transmitter and E.A.S. equipment and to ascertain scheduled programming is airing.
o Perform regular electronic equipment cleaning and repair and report equipment problems, ensure that repairs are made, and perform minor repairs on electronic and computer equipment as needed and promptly notify supervisors when major equipment repairs are needed. .
o Play, record and load station content using automation systems.
o Upload, download and convert to proper format for transmission, programming which the station may be rebroadcasting, and communicate and coordinate efforts and activities with originating broadcast sources, including satellite and other content depots and providers and make appropriate log entries as directed;
o Maintain all programming logs and make regular reports, as required by station management and the Federal Communications Commission, if applicable.
o Install, adjust, and operate electronic equipment and related software to record, edit, and transmit radio programs and compress, digitize, duplicate, and store audio data.
o Conduct training sessions on use, and design of audio materials, broadcast techniques and show planning and formatting and on operation of equipment with participating volunteers and assistant.
o Monitor broadcasts to ensure programs conform to station, network or other applicable standards and regulations and report to station manager regarding same as directed.
• Provide primary production functions for the station, including but not limited to:
o Create music and speech digital interface for special productions and public service announcements.
o Reproduce, duplicate and edit sound and speech recordings for production broadcasts.
o Assist in writing scripts for local PSAs, Station Promotions and Community event promotions.
o Record speech, music and other sounds on recording media using recording equipment appropriate for broadcast and maintain records of such activities.
o Solicit, prepare and assist volunteers and other Department and Tribal staff recording and broadcasting community public service announcements and other radio programming of community interest, as well as monitor frequency and timing of broadcasts, and ensure compliance with station and other applicable policies and regulations.
• Provide the primary sales functions for the station, including but not limited to the following:
o Develop advertising sales campaigns and programs and effectively and regularly implement and sell radio advertising, trades and event services; locate and contact potential customers to offer advertising service and sponsorship, including barter and solicitation of give-away items for listeners and provide on-going customer service, and including explaining to customers how specific types of advertising will help promote their products or services in the most effective way possible and helping them design and write advertising which meets their desires and preferences and target customers.
o Maintain assigned account bases while developing new accounts and monitor and report commercial broadcast “traffic” in coordination with the station manager and other program staff, and well as prepare and manage related invoicing, unless otherwise delegated by the station manager.
• Participate in program, department and community meetings, events and training, including transporting and assembling portable audio equipment.
• Assists with communicating verbally and in writing about station activities to the Health Department, community, Tribal Council and other funding sources.
• Prepare reports and presentations as directed in a timely fashion.
• Primarily responsible for the training and supervision of the Operations Assistant position and community volunteers, including preparation for and facilitation of related meetings.
• Performs other duties as assigned, including acting as a broadcast and on-air DJ and preparing performances for such, as necessary, utilizing service and other authorized sources and otherwise in compliance with the radio station Mission statement.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE & SKILLS REQUIRED/PREFERRED:
• Associates degree or related certification in a technical broadcast field and/or area of study required. Bachelor’s Degree or other higher education in broadcasting, communications and/or marketing and advertising sales or related fields preferred.
• Proficiency with word or word perfect, publisher, power point and excel and demonstrated proficiency in audio production, broadcast and traffic software required.
• Minimum of 2 years of experience in the technical field of radio broadcast, such as operations technician and audio production required. Additional experience in on-air broadcasting and journalism preferred.
• Minimum of 2 years’ experience in operations, production and on-air broadcasting in the radio industry preferred.
• Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, audio and recording equipment and devices, and knowledge of related computer software and hardware programming and application and demonstrated ability to implement effectively and consistently and repair required.
• Knowledge of telecommunications systems transmission, broadcasting, switching, control and operation required.
• Knowledge of communications and media production and satellite, file and cloud content acquisition and dissemination techniques and methods required.
• Knowledge and experience in advertising sales and fundraising required.
• Minimum of 2 to 5 years experience in radio advertising sales preferred.
• Knowledge and experience with radio engineering science and technology preferred.
• Demonstrated good verbal and written communications skills required.
• Experience working with Native American communities, volunteers and youth is preferred.
• Must be able to lift 50 pounds.
• Must have a valid drivers’ license, be eligible for the tribe’s insurance and complete a GSA online driving course within 90 days.
• Must have a valid fingerprint clearance card and pass the Tribe’s pre-employment Human Resources background check.
• Must have a valid CPR certification or be able to earn one within 90 days.
• Must submit to and pass a pre-employment drug/alcohol screening and random tests thereafter.
• Must submit to and pass a pre-employment background check, drug/alcohol screening and random testing thereafter.
HOW TO APPLY:
Submit a completed Employment Application to: Human Resources Department, PO Box 179, Peach Springs, AZ 86434, fax (928) 769-1191, or call (928) 769-2215/2216 for information. To be considered for employment, the Human Resources Department must receive a completed application by 5:00 PM on the closing date. A resume’ will not be accepted in lieu of a completed employment application. All applications and supporting documentation submitted becomes the property of the Human Resources Department, please keep copies for your own reference.
All eligible applicants will be interviewed and given an opportunity to demonstrate requisite knowledge and skills.
All applicants are considered without regard to age, sex, race, national origin, religion, marital status, or physical disability. However, preference may be extended to persons of Native American descent in accordance with Public Law 88-353, Section 703 (702-71) and Public Law 93-638, Section 7B.
THE HUALAPAI TRIBE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER/PROGRAM
Auxiliary aids and services available upon request to individuals with disabilities
To apply for this job please visit www.kwlpradio.com.