Radio Station Operations Assistant
August 23, 2021 by Comments Off on Radio Station Operations Assistant
- Full Time
- Peach Springs, AZ
Website Hualapai Nation KWLP Radio
JOB TITLE: Radio Station Operations Assistant
DEPARTMENT: Hualapai Health Department
CLASS: Full Time
SUMMARY OF JOB DUTIES:
This position will be under the direction and supervision of the Radio Station General Manager/Program Manager and be a position in the Health, Education and Wellness Department. All functions of this position will be performed in accordance with any applicable program, department, and Tribe and Federal agency regulations and consistent with the Radio Station’s Mission Statement and Policy and Procedure Manual, and the Department’s Vision and Mission Statements. This position will perform radio station technical tasks, consistent with the job descriptions of the Radio Station Operations/Sales Manager and/or Radio Station Field Operator positions, as assigned by the Station Manager, based on interest and aptitude of the employee and needs of the station. This position may be supervised and trained by other Radio Station staff as delegated by the Station Manager. This position may be required to attend and pass college level radio broadcast training courses and other online and in-person training as a priority and as assigned and selected by the Station Manager, if such training has not already been accomplished at time of hire. This position will require alternative and irregular work hours.
• Assist in the day-to-day technical operations of the radio station as assigned, in particular functions, tasks and duties which may be primarily identified and assigned to the Radio Station Technical Assistant and Field Operator positions which are incorporated by reference into this description.
• Audio production and broadcasting, including, but not be limited to:
o Prepare and deliver news, sports or weather reports, gathering and rewriting material to convey appropriately and to fit into specified time slots, subject to prior approval of Station Manager.
o Read news announcements to inform listeners of important community and regional events requested by community members and other department and program staff, as assigned and approved by the Station Manager.
o Design, plan and host a regular broadcast show according to the policy of the station and as assigned and approved by the station manager; including research, outreach and preparing for and conducting interviews and commentary, commenting on music, weather, traffic and similar current issues and promoting events and the station and its other programming.
• Make regular reports and participate in meetings and training as required by the program, department and Tribe.
• Participate in community, sports and promotional events that are broadcast live or at which the station is providing MC/DJ or other services, as assigned by the Station Manager, including but not limited to:
o Set up, tear down and operate field transmission equipment outside the studio including sound board (mixer,) microphones and speaker systems.
o Organize recording sessions, and prepare areas such as radio booths for recording.
o Lift/move heavy objects and equipment up to 30 pounds.
• Other tasks as assigned by the Station Manager and Department Director, including, depending upon interest and aptitude, but not be limited to:
o Install broadcast equipment, trouble shoot equipment problems, and perform minor repairs (hand tools may be required.)
o Operate and maintain transmissions, recording and broadcasting equipment.
o Retrieve, process, load and schedule broadcast content from a variety of sources and maintain logs regarding the same.
o Transport and assist community volunteers in broadcasting as assigned by the Station Manager.
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS :
• High School Diploma or equivalent required.
• Excellent verbal and written communications skills required.
• Basic computer skills including Microsoft Word, Publisher, Power Point and Excel required.
• Interest in the technical field of radio broadcast, such as technical operations and audio production required.
• Willingness to pursue and/or present participation in program to obtain a minimum of an Associate’s degree or related certification in a technical broadcast field and/or area of study required, if not already obtained.
• Interest in electronic equipment, audio and recording equipment and other audio devices and software required.
• Must have a valid driver’s license and be eligible for coverage by Tribe’s insurance, as well as pass a GSA on-line defensive driving course within 90 days of hire.
• Must have a valid fingerprint clearance card and pass the Tribe’s Human Resources background check.
• Must have a valid CPR certification or be able to earn one within 90 days of hire.
• Must submit to and pass a pre-employment drug/alcohol screening and random test thereafter.
PREFERRED EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, TRAINING AND SKILLS:
• Knowledge of digital technology including telephone, e-mail, internet and website management, social media and related etiquette and operations preferred.
• Willingness to pursue and/or present participation in a program to obtain a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree or other higher education in broadcasting, communications and/or marketing and advertising sales or related fields preferred.
• Interest in telecommunications systems, transmission, broadcasting and operation preferred.
• Interest in communications and media production and programming content acquisition and dissemination techniques and methods preferred.
• Familiarity and experience with audio production software such as audacity and audio blocks preferred.
• Familiarity with broadcast software including SAM and ENCO preferred.
• Experience in on-air broadcasting and/or journalism preferred.
• Experience working with Native American communities, in a media environment, with volunteers and with youth is preferred.
HOW TO APPLY:
Submit a completed Employment Application to: Human Resources Department, PO Box 179, Peach Springs, AZ 86434, fax (928) 769-1191, or call (928) 769-2215/2216 for information. To be considered for employment, the Human Resources Department must receive a completed application by 5:00 PM on the closing date. A resume’ will not be accepted in lieu of a completed employment application. All applications and supporting documentation submitted becomes the property of the Human Resources Department, please keep copies for your own reference.
Qualified applicants will be interviewed and required to demonstrate skills.
All applicants are considered without regard to age, sex, race, national origin, religion, marital status, or physical disability. However, preference will be extended to qualified Hualapai Tribal members in accordance with Hualapai Tribe personnel policy and preference may be extended to persons of Native American descent in accordance with Public Law 88-353, Section 703 (702-71) and Public Law 93-638, Section 7B.
THE HUALAPAI TRIBE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER/PROGRAM
Auxiliary aids and services available upon request to individuals with disabilities
To apply for this job please visit www.kwlpradio.com.