Key focus areas in 2021: Where the ABA is putting resources this year
As we all work to find balance amid so many unique challenges, the ABA has prioritized EIGHT core services (including several new projects) where we plan to invest hundreds of thousands of dollars on your behalf in 2021.
- FCC LICENCSE GUIDANCE AND PROTECTION: The ABA has a unique partnership with the FCC that allows us to train stations on all FCC rules, have an ABA inspector audit all practices, and when passed, give stations a 3-year moratorium on most FCC inspections. This “ABIP” project will continue to be offered in 2021.
- ABA-FUNDED CONSUMER AND SALES RESEARCH IN ARIZONA: The ABA plans to distribute our first-ever third-party research study in 2021 focused on Arizona audience consumption habits. We know stations need more data to help close sales deals and understand today’s media use. This data should fit perfectly in sales presentations.
- ABA-FUNDED PAID INTERNSHIPS AT MEMBER STATIONS: The ABA is once again dedicating an unprecedented level of financial resource to FULLY FUND paid internships at member stations throughout 2021. Our goal is to inspire new careers and innovation across Arizona broadcasting
- NEXT GENERATION RECRUITMENT, SCHOLARSHIP AND WORKSHOPS: ABA efforts to “futureproof” our business will
focus on two core areas:
• On your behalf, the ABA will fund college scholarships, certifications and workshops at all three state universities
with the goal of financially supporting programs that lead to more new hires and fresh perspectives.
• The ABA will also fund and manage year-round media career fairs at high traffic locations (or virtually as needed)
to help stations recruit for positions and meet FCC EEO outreach obligations.
- FREE STAFF TRAINING, LIVE EVENTS AND ONE-ON-ONE COACHING: All ABA training will focus on three areas:
• Our P1 Training will offer on-demand digital courses in most broadcast disciplines, including media sales,
marketing, management, content and HR. Any member station employee can use this service at no cost.
• We will provide one-on-one expert training to help new AEs get up and running with sales more quickly. Our
program is built around a 7-week on-boarding program that includes personalized training and one-on-one
feedback. The free program includes weekly discussions with trainers and individual assignments.
• The ABA will continue hosting monthly digital live events to talk about new trends, sales needs and leadership.
- FREE LEGAL SUPPORT AND SAFETY NET: ABA legal support remains directed in two key places throughout 2021:
• The ABA is offering member station access to our Washington DC legal counsel and Arizona broadcast lawyer to
answer key questions about things like advertising, EEO, filings, compliance, towers and audits.
• We’ve reserved budget dollars to help fund legal issues affecting multiple member stations and broad issues.
Think of this fund as a safety net for unplanned legal costs that affect Arizona broadcasters as a whole.
- ARIZONA AND DC BROADCAST LOBBYING: The ABA continues to put extensive resources into broadcast lobbying efforts at both the state legislature and U.S. Congress to help influence fair legislation for our Arizona broadcasters.
• We’re funding the only lobbyist on behalf of Arizona broadcasters at the state legislature. Our lobbyist will be
keeping a close eye on any legislation – including taxes – that may impact the broadcasting business in Arizona.
• The ABA will continue leading in-person and virtual discussions between Arizona broadcast GMs and Arizona’s
congressional delegation in Washington DC. Our goal is to make sure the voice of Arizona broadcasters is made
loud and clear in our nation’s capital.
- ADOVOCACY AND PROJECT LEADERSHIP WITH ARIZONA BIG BUSINESS: The ABA will once again prioritize ad agency advocacy, relationship management with key state officials, and ambassador networking with big business on behalf of Arizona’s radio and TV stations. We will also lead all EAS efforts in coordination with state officials and act as the bridge for shared TV and radio tower site challenges as we did throughout 2020.
We’ll share details about each services as key touchpoints come up. You can also reach out to us anytime to take advantage of anything listed on this page.