Now what? Next steps in federal help for AZ broadcasters
The ABA continues to stay close with Arizona’s U.S. congressional leaders about more broadcast stimulus. Here’s a freshly compiled look at what’s next:
- The ABA joined other state broadcasting associations last week to formally request expanded PPP protection and more federal support for advertising. Read the letter. We hope for movement this month.
- The new US Census RFP for radio and TV stations remains active.
- The ‘forgivable’ SBA loan program remains extended to 24 weeks and now requires fewer dollars to get allocated to payroll.
- Since late March, the FCC has made moves to reduce the load on stations during these uncertain times. Here’s a running list of FCC actions and here’s an updated 2020 broadcasters FCC calendar.
- The ABA has filed legal paperwork to aggressively fight for an FCC regulatory fee reduction benefiting all stations this year.
- We’re pushing hard for new loan and advertising support, and hope for action by month’s end.
- Thanks to an aggressive push in April and May, the U.S. Health and Human Services Department is pledging a “large campaign” of purchased public service announcements directly to local media.
- The ABA continues to work closely with our partners at the National Association of Broadcasters on the potential of tax relief for businesses who advertise with local media.
TO WATCH CLOSELY:
- What will be cut to fill Arizona/federal budget shortfalls?